Central New York (CNY) History: Annsville and Taberg, NY
In April 1793 John Bloomfield came from Burlington, New Jersey. He traveled up the Mohawk Valley beyond Fort Stanwix, to oversee some surveying for a relative. The next year he returned and, with others, and paid two shillings an acre for a 6,000 acre tract of Scriba's Patent.
In 1794, John and his wife built a log cabin on the site of what is now Annsville Elementary School. They were the first settlers in the town which bears the name of John's wife, Ann. The large, white, pillared house across the street was built in 1822-23 by John's cousin, Joseph Bloomfield.
John built the first sawmill and gristmill in the hamlet now known as Taberg. In 1809, the Oneida Iron and Glass Manufacturing Company began its operation and in 1811 a blast furnance was built for the production of pig iron. It is said that shot and shell were produced here for the War of 1812.
Charcoal was used in the production of pig iron and residents of Annsville, particularly those living on Coal Hill Road, burned wood to make charcoal which they sold to the iron company. That is where Coal Hill got its name. The hamlet surrounding this furnace was named Taberg, after an iron mining town in Sweden.
From the 1860s to 1888 Taberg had a fair known for miles around. Later it was held by the Annsville and Lee Agricultural Society. The grounds and racetrack were on the property owned by Carl Seiple and son and were considered among the best kept in the state. Soon after 1880 a small orchestra was organized that finally became the Taberg Cornet Band in 1909. In 1927 the Taberg Community Band was organized. This was discontinued in the 1940s.